„Elena Doamna” Maternity Hospital
49 Elena Doamna str.
On the site of an abandoned inn, on Albă Street (today known as Elena Doamna), in 1841, the administration of the Israeli hospital (established in 1827) began the construction of the building that would serve the hospital. Originally called hekdes, the hospital has over time become one of the most famous in the city, offering services to Jews and non-Jews. During the 1930s, about 2,200 patients were treated here and over 650 surgeries were performed annually.
The Israeli Maternity Hospital, founded in 1878 and under the patronage of the first society of Israeli women in Iasi, also operated in this building. The maternity hospital functioned similarly to the hospital based on donations, and the medical staff worked voluntarily, caring for over 400 women annually. The Israeli hospital had a different legal personality from that of the Jewish community, an advantage when antisemitic measures and laws began to appear in the country.
After 1948, the hospital`s building and annexes building were nationalized (www.og-iasi.ro).
Visit nearby places
Leizer Finkelstein, Survivor of Iași Pogrom 1 Conductelor Street Approximate distance 0.51Approximate distance
The Memorial of the June 1941 Pogrom 1 Sinagogilor Street Approximate distance 0.67Approximate distance